Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Unexpected Find (Royal Pride 1) by Nancy Corrigan Review



This is the first book since starting my blog that has put me in a real bind. As a general rule I will never impart my religious or political beliefs in my reviews. This tends to not be a real problem when one reads and reviews hot sexy romance novels, but it has posed a problem for me with this book. After finishing this book last night I went and read some other reviews to see if any other reader has run into the same dilemma that I have. Only one other reviewer seems to allude to possibly having the same problem with the this story that I do. The reviewer didn't come right out and say what her problem was, but I am pretty sure that it is the same one I am having. The problem that I have is a big one for me, but may not be for many readers. The fact that in order for the heroine to have a happily ever after with her hero she must loose her soul is a deal breaker for me. You read that correctly, the mates to these shifters have to give up their souls in order to accept the spirit of an animal, thus giving up their ability to have any afterlife. Now, in case you think that I may have misinterpreted the message here it is: 

"If he'd bitten harder, he could've pushed his essence into her body-the one he'd inherited from the goddess-and severed her tie to the human god. Without a claim to heaven, his cat's spirits could enter her soul, leave a piece of themselves behind and tie her to him."

"If the chosen female rejected her male's cats or if she died before the joining could form, not only would she lose her life but her soul as well. No heaven. No eternal peace. No nothing. Poof. She'd just fade away.

Well, I don't like that at all. I have no problem with the concept of immortality or altering a person's life span. To allow someone to die while reaching for immortality or an extended lifespan is one thing. But to remove the soul and the potential for an eternity spent in any religious or non-religious way the author chooses to imply? That I just won't indulge in. I've turned this around in my mind for a bit and maybe, just maybe you can interpret this as her loosing her soul only if the mating doesn't take, but if that is the case does that really seem any better? Not for me. In most paranormal books with immortal creatures there is some opportunity for redemption and the chance of an afterlife since more often than not immortality only means you live until you're killed. For example there's the Fade for those in J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood world. It's not necessarily a Christian afterlife, but there is a higher power with salvation and peace waiting on the other side for those who have served and lived well on this side of eternity. 

I am so disappointed. I was really looking forward to this series and actively pursued getting the ARCs for both Unexpected Find and Beautiful Mistake from Ellora's Cave so that I could read and review them. If this had been a purely personal read, I would not have finished this book and would not be reading Beautiful Mistake. However, I have made this commitment and will fulfill it and count it as a lesson learned to research a little more carefully the subject matter before jumping in. In my own defense I don't think that I could have seen this one coming as it wasn't really mentioned in any of the book descriptions or other reviews. 

Now for the basic facts of the book. It is very well written. The plot is well developed and laid out and the whole thing makes sense. However it is definitely about fifty percent detailed sex. There is definitely as much sex as there is story so if you don't enjoy your paranormal too hot and heavy you may not enjoy this one. I am giving this book a 3 star rating because I can not fault Corrigan for my own personal proclivities. If I did not have such a strong reaction to this part of Corrigan's world of shifters I believe that I would have enjoyed the book and given the whole series a more fair shake. As it stands my perception is now tainted and I will have to make a concerted effort to not let it affect the way I read and review Beautiful Mistake which I will be reading next. 

Happy Reading!
Monica


Book Description:

Since the murder of her best friend, Jazz is stuck in a safe but lonely way of life. She’s willing to sacrifice everything to keep her family safe from the shifter world. The sexy stranger who struts into her friend’s bar changes everything. From the first glance Jazz knows she’s sunk—their chemistry sizzles from across the room, it’ll be undeniable up close.

Rafe wants Jazz from the second he sets eyes on her. The depth of the need that swamps him every time he’s near her surprises him. It takes every last ounce of his self-control not to pounce on Jazz and make her his. Only her distrust of his shifter nature holds him back. He counts it as a win every time his beloved human gives in to their passion and takes him to her bed. But Rafe’s patience isn’t infinite and he’ll do whatever it takes, face any danger—past or present—to ensure that Jazz becomes his. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)