Friday, April 18, 2014

Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter Novels Book 2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon



This installment of the Dark Hunters series takes us further into the realm of this very interesting world created by Sherrilyn Kenyon.  Ancient Celt Talon, along with fellow local Dark Hunters prepare for the lead up to Mardi Gras and the dangers it always poses with the increase of Daimon activity during the celebrations. It's not enough that Dionysus, the Greek god of wine claims this celebration as his own, but during this time New Orleans is awash with supernaturals and things tend to get tense between the different factions. 

Talon has an interesting and of course traumatic back story yet manages to maintain a bit of a sense of humor as well as his ability to care for others despite living alone in a Louisiana swamp. Being cursed by the Celtic god of war, Talon is doomed to loose anyone he loves so keeps himself at arms length from people and makes sure that no one becomes too dear to him. However, when circumstances puts him in the path of Sunshine Runningwolf-that's right her name is Sunshine-Talon's world in rocked in more ways than one. He can't resist the intense attraction to her and finds himself on the losing end of the battle to shield his heart.

One of the problems that I am having with this series is that I am not enjoying the lead female characters very much. Sunshine for me left much to be desired. The thing that is repeated often in this story is that she smells of patchouli and turpentine and Talon loves it. I mean the man can't get enough of that scent. I have smelled patchouli before and it is not a sexy scent. And turpentine? When was the last time you took a trip down the aisle at Lowe's or Michael's and wanted to get a big whiff of turpentine? That's just not hot. On top of being a bit on the stinky side Sunshine is a forgetful hippie artsy type with a kumbaya mentality that just grated on my nerves.  Now Talon on the other hand? A sexy Scott with Celtic symbols tattooed across his body? Now that's hot! Again, winner on the male character and a whammy on the female character. Maybe it's just me and I am being too critical, but I just can't seem to help it. 

I will be continuing on with the series though. There are so many aspects to this world that I hope will keep me coming back. The Dark Hunters, the possibility of the shifter community playing a bigger role later on, and how the Greek gods and other supernatural creatures fit into these stories all intrigue me so I refuse to abandon this series just yet. I am looking forward to reading the next book which is Zarek's story. I love a damaged, troubled alpha male with an attitude and an ax to grind. I have a feeling that Zarek's story will be traumatic and I hope his soul mate is a strong interesting woman because she will definitely have to have some strength to deal with someone as angry as him. 

Happy Reading!
Monica


Description:

Life is great for me. I have my chicory coffee, my warm beignets, and my best friend on the cell phone. Once the sun goes down, I am the baddest thing prowling the night: I command the elements, and I know no fear. For centuries, I've protected the innocent and watched over the mankind, making sure they are safe in a world where nothing is ever certain. All I want in return is a hot babe in a red dress, who wants nothing more from me then one night.

Instead, I get a runaway Mardi Gras float that tries to turn me into roadkill and a beautiful woman who saves my life but can't remember where she put my pants. Flamboyant and extravagant, Sunshine Runningwolf should be the perfect woman for me. She wants nothing past tonight, no ties, no long-term commitments.

But every time I look at her, I start yearning for dreams that I buried centuries ago. With her unconventional ways and ability to baffle me, Sunshine is the one person I find myself needing. But for me to love her would mean her death. I am cursed never to know peace or happiness— not so long as my enemy waits in the night to destroy us both.

—Talon of the Morrigantes(less)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)