Sunday, September 27, 2015

Happy Banned Book Week 2015!


Today kicks off National Banned Book Week! I love looking at all of the books that are considered dangerous to our youth's moral development. Books that hit sensitive social issues and books that in all fairness may be offensive to some. I don't take what we expose our children to lightly; but in all honesty it's fun for me to see what different people find to be negative influences. 

What do you think about censoring books? It's still a very valid and touchy subject! I, as a parent, censored what my children read but I have to admit that my standards weren't the same as some really conservative groups. For example Harry Potter was never off limits. The general rule in my house is that the main characters should be in the same age group or younger as the kid reading it. Content was scrutinized by me and the hubby (mostly me!) book by book. There are tons of lists so I just chose the ones that I enjoyed looking through. I hope that you enjoy them too!

Happy Reading!
Monica


Most Frequently Challenged Books Written by Authors of Color

Reason for challenges: racism, homosexuality, sexually explicit, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language, violence

Reason for challenges: homosexuality, sexually explicit

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language

Reason for challenges: racism, offensive language, violence

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, violence

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language, violence

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language, occult

Reason for challenges: racism, sexually explicit, offensive language

Reason for challenges: sexually explicit, offensive language

Other books written by authors of color challenged during this period include Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry (offensive language) by Mildred D. Taylor and American Indian Myths and Legends (sexually explicit) by Richard Erdoes and Alfonso Ortiz.


Books Challenged in 2015


(This one has my fave-who's hating on Dr Seus?!)

Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009


Check out the entire list from the ALA here!

1. Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling
2. Alice series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
4. And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
7. Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
8. His Dark Materials (series), by Philip Pullman
9. ttyl; ttfn; l8r g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)