Friday, October 28, 2016

Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians #1) by Dianne Duvall Review



Darkness Dawns has a very simple plot, minimal world building, and a romantic couple that I couldn't muster any enthusiasm for. Sarah and Roland, the hero and heroine of Darkness Dawns, weren't very interesting to me and I just didn't connect to either one. I didn't dislike them, I just felt nothing at all for them. After finishing this story, I can't point to anything that stood out for me in a positive way. The only things that stood out are the two things that I didn't particularly like. The fact that 'organic' food is apparently super important to both of them and was driven home as if it were an important plot point, only induced eye rolling. The twist on the consumption of blood for sustenance was forcefully wedged into the idea of 'clean' eating by Duvall making the immortals intake of blood through their fangs like a syringe instead of being swallowed and ingested. I guess the fact that they don't actually digest the blood taken in makes it better? I suppose that works. 

For me, reading Darkness Dawns was one of those rare times where I was actually more interested in the secondary characters and their potential stories than the story of the main couple. Because I am interested in Marcus, Seth, and Bastian I won't give up on this series just yet. When tempted to skim parts of this book I refrained just so that I wouldn't miss a small clue to their stories that may prove important down the line. I generally give a little slack to the first book in a series because there is usually time spent with world building and/or setting up an overall story arc, but unfortunately I didn't really get a sense of an overly interesting world being developed. I am most definitely in the minority with my opinion of Darkness Dawns and there are many positive reviews from other readers, so this may be a case of me reading this at the wrong time and in the wrong mood. I really wanted to enjoy it more than I did. 

Happy Reading!
Monica


Once, Sarah Bingham’s biggest challenge was making her students pay attention in class. Now, after rescuing a wounded stranger, she’s landed in the middle of a battle between corrupt vampires and powerful immortals who also need blood to survive. Roland Warbrook is the most compelling man Sarah has ever laid hands on. But his desire for her is mingled with a hunger he can barely control…

In his nine centuries of immortal existence, no woman has tempted Roland as much as Sarah. But asking her to love him is impossible—when it means forfeiting the world she’s always known, and the life he would do anything to protect...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)