Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Dreamblood Duology by N. K. Jemisin Review


Killing Moon Review

I just absolutely love the way that Jemisin reveals the worlds and characters that she creates. From the very beginning, Jemisin requires her readers to sit up and pay attention. Every detail is important to the story line and she wastes no time easing readers into her stories. Killing Moon is a dark story and there were several times that I wanted to hold my breath hoping that things could work out differently than they do, even when I saw the inevitability of the situations. The Killing Moon is a story where love, truth, and righteousness isn't necessarily enough to carry the day. Self sacrifice, loyalty, faithfulness to duty, and the willingness to do what is hard and heartbreaking are what is required to save their lands from destruction. 

Although this is book one in the Dreamblood duology, the story is a complete one and didn't leave me feeling as if I were left dangling. I was fortunate enough to receive an advance copy of the bundled duology, so I was able to jump right into The Shadowed Sun, which I did. The Killing Moon is the third book that I have read by Jemisin and I'm giving it five stars just as I did the first two! 

The Shadowed Sun Review

The Shadowed Sun takes place 10 years after The Killing Moon and it's wonderful. Complex characters, actions that are judged right or wrong depending on which side of the conflicts you are standing on, and a world that just gets more rich and engaging. Readers get both an intricate plot that is paced to keep the reader engaged as well as diverse multilayered characters that are relatable. I felt invested in almost every character. 

I read this in the bind up of the duology and there's an interview at the end that is both entertaining and encouraging. Could there be more stories in the Dreamblood universe in the futrure? Jemisin doesn't commit to it, but she certainly gave me hope that there may be more in the future. 

After having sung the praises of Jemisin's The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, it should be no surprise to anyone that I also loved The Dreamblood Duology. If you are a fantasy fiction fan and you have not yet picked up a Jemisin book, you are seriously doing yourself a disservice! The worlds created by N.K. Jemisin are complicated, detailed, and unique. I've become a fan girl and now own all but Shades in Shadows, which I will be grabbing soon. I will be joyfully diving into The Inheritance Trilogy and Shades in Shadows in 2017 as well as anxiously waiting for the release of The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3)  in August of 2017. 


Another bonus is that these volumes look absolutely beautiful lined up together on my bookcase! The covers of Jemisin's books are some of my favorites. 



**I requested a review copy of The Dreamblood Duology from Orbit with the intent of giving an honest review.**


The Dreamblood Duology includes the novels The Killing Moon (nominated for the Nebula and World Fantasy awards) and The Shadowed Sun.

The city burned beneath the Dreaming Moon.

In the ancient city-state of Gujaareh, peace is the only law. Upon its rooftops and amongst the shadows of its cobbled streets wait the Gatherers -- the keepers of this peace. Priests of the dream-goddess, their duty is to harvest the magic of the sleeping mind and use it to heal, soothe . . . and kill those judged corrupt.

But when a conspiracy blooms within Gujaareh's great temple, Ehiru -- the most famous of the city's Gatherers -- must question everything he knows. Someone, or something, is murdering dreamers in the goddess' name, stalking its prey both in Gujaareh's alleys and the realm of dreams. Ehiru must now protect the woman he was sent to kill -- or watch the city be devoured by war and forbidden magic.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Jemisin collection! I am eagerly awaiting The Stone Sky as well and will then be diving into all of Jemisin's other works. I aim to read all her work one day. It's going to be an amazing experience. Glad to have found another Jemisin fan in you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I am Naz! Happy Holidays!

      Delete

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)