Friday, January 20, 2017

Farewell to the Obamas


I do not discuss politics on this blog, but I am making an exception today. I'm so grateful that the Obama family has been such an outstanding example of how to exhibit grace and dignity in the face of all the vitriol and nastiness that was thrown their way. The Obama family made it so easy for me to be proud of the image of an American family that our country presented to the world. I won't go into all of the reasons why or this will just become one big gush fest. Just know that seeing any of the Obama family always brings great joy to my heart. 

 Some of the darkest days in our nation were after the end of Reconstruction. During Reconstruction our nation made the extremely short lived attempt to include African American people in how a true democracy should function. For the first time there were elected political leaders who were people of color. Although Reconstruction didn't thrive, it showed a democracy that better reflects the body of a nation is possible. It still didn't include women yet (that's a whole other topic) but it was a move in the right direction. Out of the fear of losing what they felt was their God given place to rule, many people used intimidation and violence to beat back the small amount of progress that was made. That era is what I think of with our current transition.

I pray with everything that I am that we have made enough progress as a society that we will not slide too far into darkness with the coming charge to turn back the gains that were so hard fought for. For those who say that we must all join together and move forward I say this. I had a beautiful picture of how much progress that had been made in my country over a relatively short period of time. That progress was paid for in sweat, tears, blood, and lives. The events over the past six months has ripped that picture into pieces and now you ask me to piece that picture back together. I will tape those jagged parts back together, but it will never look the same. The rips will forever be visible. So you will have to allow those of us who are still grieving the loss of the idea of a society steadily moving forward. You will have to allow us time to digest the fact that for many, the love of their fellow man falls far behind their own desire to hoard for themselves the taste of freedom and prosperity. The progress our nation and the world has made is in no way negated by today's changing of the guard to what morally offends many of us. However, it makes many of us angry that we may have to fight the same battles all over again. 

Take care of each other and yourselves as we move into uncertain and difficult times. 

All My Best-
Monica

2 comments:

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)