Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Home (Binti #2) by Nnedi Okorafor Review


Home takes place a year after the ending of book one and Binti has moved forward with her talents. Binti is feeling the pull of home and is ready to visit her family and hopefully find the peace that she has been unable to regain after everything that has happened to her. Binti is strong and determined, but she is struggling with all of the rapid changes in her life. However, returning home is nothing like she expected or hoped for. Joy, apprehension, distrust, longing for what was but can never be again, and coming to terms with her new 'otherness' among not only her community but her family is all pressing down on her. Binti has to come to terms with just how much she has changed, but her home has not. Not only has her changes affected her relationships, but she does not get the journey she had come home for. That's all I can say without spoiling anything. 

I don't know how in the world Okorafor managed to pack so much goodness in so few pages. I loved Home even more than I enjoyed Binti. I am still thinking about all of the themes packed into this novella. Binti being brave enough to face fears that she can not control, embracing changes that she doesn't understand, having to reconcile the fact that her best friend belongs to the group of beings who are responsible for so much of her pain, as well as being forever connected to the Meduse, and accepting a heritage that she never knew existed are all beautifully related. I tabbed the heck out of this novella, which was really surprising. 

Home ends on a cliffhanger that will have me checking for a release date for book three on a regular basis. I highly recommend picking up this series and Home is going on my favorites list. 


You can read my review on Binti here


(These books are absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad that I own physical copies of both.)


It’s been a year since Binti and Okwu enrolled at Oomza University. A year since Binti was declared a hero for uniting two warring planets. A year since she abandoned her family in the dawn of a new day.

And now she must return home to her people, with her friend Okwu by her side, to face her family and face her elders.

But Okwu will be the first of his race to set foot on Earth in over a hundred years, and the first ever to come in peace.

After generations of conflict can human and Meduse ever learn to truly live in harmony?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)