Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Breathe (Colorado Mountain Series #4) by Kristen Ashley Review



This installment of the Colorado Mountain series focuses on hunky Carnal police officer Chase Keaton (35) and shy librarian Faye Goodnight (29) who happens to still be a virgin holding out for her hero. Chase is still wrestling with demons from book 3 and Faye wants to see him heal. This book is amazingly good. Kristen has the unique ability to weave tragic stories and circumstances into these romantic tales, yet you still feel that they are believable. The reader still comes out with a sense of optimism and knowing that love can triumph even in our jaded modern society. That is one of the things that I really enjoy about Ashley's writing style. You do not have to suspend belief to get a happily ever after. Not that escapism isn't great, I thoroughly enjoy being asked to suspend reality and take a trip into a completely outrageous world. However, Ashley allows you to have conflict, tragedy, and gritty reality with love, passion, and compassion triumphing adversity in the end. It's nice having the amount of good eventually outweigh the evil.

This is the second book in this series that has made me cry and I love it! I am not a big book crier, but Ashley keeps getting me right in the gut. There's a scene where a young abused boy calls Chase his Aslan and that Chase makes him want to be Peter and well bring on the water works! If you don't get this literary reference you need to immediately go to your favorite means of buying books and buy The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by  C.S. Lewis right now and read it. It's one of the books that I required both of my girls to read and they loved it too, thus proving that they really are my biological children. On a lighter note Faye uses my all time favorite swear word liberally: "frak". I use "frak" in a variety of combinations; freakin' frak, stinkin' stankin' frack, and the new version that I have learned from Faye and will definitely be incorporating it into my rotation of swears "frickity frak frak frak". oh yeah, that's a winner.


 If you are looking for a good series to start I can not recommend this series highly enough. Now I am on to reading the newest in the series titled Jagged ahead of it's release next week on November 5th. I was lucky enough to get an ARC from Net Galley and I will be posting my review on the day of it's release. If you would like to see my reviews of book 1, The Gamble you can click here, book 2 Sweet Dreams by clicking here, and book 3 Lady Luck by clicking here.


Happy Reading!

Monica

Amazon

Description

There's nothing like the first time . . .

In Carnal, Colorado, Faye Goodknight is the town's quiet, shy librarian. She may also be Carnal's last remaining virgin. For years, Faye has had a crush on Chace Keaton, but the gorgeous cop has always been unattainable. She's resigned to live contentedly with only her books for company-until Faye suddenly meets Chace alone in the woods . . .


Chace doesn't think he's the good guy everyone believes him to be. He's made a lot of choices he regrets, including denying his feelings for Faye. Through his choices, he's come to believe the pretty librarian is too good for him, but after their time in the woods, Chace realizes that she may be his last chance for redemption. Soon, their long simmering desires grow to a burning passion. Yet always casting a shadow over their happiness is Chace's dark past . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)