Sunday, February 2, 2014

If Not for Love by J. Adams



I really wanted to love this book. Scotland is one of my favorite places on the planet and I would pack up and live there in a minute if I could so I thought that this book would be perfect for me. It’s set in the Highlands and it’s an IR romance, what’s not to love? I just couldn’t get past the first 20% of the book before I started skipping and I knew the death knell was tolling. There are very few books that I can’t finish, but I have decided to no longer force myself to continue reading something that is blatantly not resonating with me and unfortunately this one didn’t. One of my pet peeves is when people misuse the term “literally” and this happened at the 7% mark when Adia says that she had to “literally pick my chin up from off the floor”. No you didn’t Adia. (Insert eye roll here) As if writing “up from off the floor” wasn’t bad enough…Strike one! Adia also says that she has picked up an accent after only living in Scotland for a few months and annoyingly says “ta” instead of “to” as in “would you like ta come in?” Strike two. J. Girl. Your character Adia is not a Scottish lass, she’s an African American girl from Black Mountain, North Carolina. I am from Arkansas and I lived in England for 3 years. I tell you this, if at anytime during my stay there I had begun speaking with an English accent my husband would have had me evaluated-quickly. Besides I found that most people I met in Europe wanted to hear my Southern accent and enjoyed it more than me trying to affect a phony British accent. Differences in speech and idioms always made for much more interesting interactions. Lastly, Adia and Tavish speak of love right away out of the blue with no lead up at all. Strike three and I wasn’t even halfway through the story. Thank goodness it was a freebie.

Happy Reading!
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)