Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Viking Wants Forever by Koko Brown Review


THE VIKING WANTS FOREVER is one that I really looked forward to reading. It had lots of elements that would draw me in. It features a somewhat nerdy AA woman, time travel, and a Viking. What else could I ask for in a steamy romance? This one had my name written all over it and with the fantastic cover I pre-ordered a copy and happily started reading the day it came out. Unfortunately this wasn't the best read for me. The premise is great, it was exactly what I wanted, however the execution left me disappointed. 

There are many editing issues from beginning to end. There is even an incident towards the end around the 95% mark where Reese, the main character, is referred to as Celeste. It was out of the blue and I had to make sure that I hadn't missed something. Some of the transitions in the story aren't very smooth and I was left having to figure out what was happening. I also expected a bit more character development for both Reese and Eirik. Their relationship was instantaneous which I completely expected because of the circumstances in which they were thrown together. However, I wanted their relationship to develop into something more than just intense sexual attraction. I didn't feel as if there was any depth of feeling developing between them. The reason for Reese being sent to Eirik's time is simple which is fine but I wish that there had been more meaning behind the stone. I know that Loki is the bringer of mischief and mayhem but I wanted the stone to have had some meaning or symbolism attached to it. 

There is also the issue of slavery and how easily Reese is able to manipulate Eirik to change something that should have been an extremely difficult and complicated maneuver. Eirik is not a sovereign ruler and is accountable to more powerful men. The change made would have had a ripple effect outside of just Eirik's holding. That issue was too quickly and easily resolved. It would also have been nice to have the dynamics between Eirik and both of his brothers further explored. Their relationships could have been a great source for tension in the story. Even the tension between Eirik and Bjarni (his best friend) over Reese felt rushed and too easily resolved. The ending felt off kielter and rushed. There is a time gap at the end that I really would have liked to have seen filled in as well. 

I really hate that THE VIKING WANTS FOREVER wasn't a win for me. I will read another Koko Brown book again but I just hope the next release will have a better editing team. 

Happy Reading!
Monica

Synopsis

A Love Frozen In Time… 

Reese Johnson yearns for a life other than the world of drudgery she’s settled for as the manager of a comic book store. What’s that they say? Be careful what you wish for? Well that’s a motto Reese should have tattooed across her forehead. Because Loki, the Norse god of mischief, has just the remedy for the boring life of this woman who denounces his existence. 

His recipe for disaster? 

Take a 30 year-old woman and send her back in time as a pawn for revenge. Couple her with Eirik Sigurdsson, a Viking Warlord, too arrogant and baggage-laden to be of any use for anything, but battle and bed. Mix thoroughly, folding in a heavy dose of pride, a tyrannical king, and a sympathetic goddess. Bake at high until a white-hot love is unleashed and then forever frozen in time. 

NOTE: The Viking Wants Forever was previously published as Frozen in Time. The story has been expanded by 42,000 words.

4 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to reading this one myself Monica. I pushed it back though...too bad it didn't live up to its expectations. It may get pushed back a little more for now. Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharonda-I was sad that this one wasn't what I had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I was looking forward to this for the time travel element, think I'm goina pass though. Thanks for your honesty about this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hate it when I end up a little disappointed.

      Delete

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)