Monday, July 11, 2016

Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses #1) by Malorie Blackman


So apparently I am a big fat fibber and I don't know my own tastes in books. I have moaned and groaned for years about how I don't enjoy and won't read YA books and can barely get into NA books. Well, I am quickly discovering that I don't really know what I'm talking about, and that I am missing out on some quality reads because of my preconceived notions and prejudgments. Well, I'm mending my ways, crying uncle, and deciding that I am just going to take books on a case by case basis! I've read and enjoyed the first two books in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas, although in my defense they felt very adult to me! I read and enjoyed the Chasing Day Series by Twyla Turner AND I have pretty much decided that I am going to read Empyrean by T.H. Bolden (Twyla Turner) because every time that I see the cover it makes me smile. Yeah, I'm judging a book by it's cover!

I stumbled across this series being mentioned in a vlog post and it sounded so good, that I immediately added it to my TBR list and had to resist some serious temptation to order book one right away. Despite having more books that I can read over the next year, I really want to give this series a try. This is not a new series at all, I believe that it was released in 2009. I'm just late to the party. 

Noughts & Crosses sounds like a very interesting take on a dystopian story that features a world where dark skinned people are the privileged and considered superior to paler/white people.  If you are looking for a unique read check out this series. If you've already read it, leave a comment, I would love to know what you thought. 

Happy Reading!
Monica


Two young people are forced to make a stand in this thought-provoking look at racism and prejudice in an alternate society.

Sephy is a Cross -- a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a Nought -- a “colourless” member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood, but that’s as far as it can go. In their world, Noughts and Crosses simply don’t mix. Against a background of prejudice and distrust, intensely highlighted by violent terrorist activity, a romance builds between Sephy and Callum -- a romance that is to lead both of them into terrible danger. Can they possibly find a way to be together?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)