Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin Review



I first read this book about 3 years ago and was quickly sucked into this wonderful, harsh, intriguing, and heart wrenching tale surrounding the fight to rule Westeros and control the seat of power in this world. I won't go into great detail for this series of books since they have become so popular and you can find that type of review on any of the sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. However, I will give you my overall opinion. To put it simply, I love these books. Martin snatches the reader from the beginning of this saga. It is pretty clear from the start who the main players are and their virtues and flaws are quickly revealed. This series is not for the faint of heart or those who want a quick read with simple plots and characters. This series is a fantasy readers well, fantasy. The characters are complex and Martin likes to give lots of detail. I found myself getting really invested in certain characters and had to constantly resist the temptation to skip to their story lines which are broken up throughout the book. You can't go into this series thinking that you are going to tear through them and get to an ending where things will be nicely concluded. I love these books but this series requires quite a bit of patience since Martin does not seem to be in any real hurry to wrap this one up. He takes years, yes I said years, to release additional books in this series.

There are currently 5 books in the series, the next book The Winds of Winter may come out sometime in 2014. No one who is familiar with Martin's m.o. will be holding their breaths waiting for it though. I just hope and pray that neither Martin nor I die before this series is wrapped up! So if patience is not a virtue you embrace, you can't handle main character's being offed in horrific ways, or you do not like epic sagas this series is not for you. But if you (1) love intrigue, (2) enjoy witty and entertaining dialogue,(3) can imagine a child that you truly wish would just die(I know that's harsh but you'll see), and (4) you like well developed characters then get your geek on, read this series and join me in the sweet, sweet pain of waiting and yearning for the next fix in this saga.

Happy Reading!
Monica


Reading Order For Series:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)