Monday, May 24, 2021

When the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain: Review

 



I have to admit that this audio book started out rough for me, not because it isn't a well written and performed audio book, it's because I wasn't prepared for the intense trauma that is presented right off the bat. I don't often read things that need trigger warnings, but this one definitely does. Death of a small child, fresh and unrelieved grief, and child sexual abuse are the biggest ones that actually shook me for a bit. I think that McLain presented these things well but her writing is so clear and profound that I did have a strong emotional response to the entire story. This is a well done thriller and I want to read more by Paula McLain, I just hope that the next one I pick up isn't quite as hard to take in emotionally.


***Thank you to Penguin Random House for providing access to the audio book.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Book Goodness (I'm an Amazon Affiliate!)